Staker Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Airdrop 21 Valid Participant List
https://forum.staker.network/index.php/topic,965.0.html

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Where is Bitcointalk.org heading with all these anti-user changes lately?  (Read 497 times)

IWNOIJODIHOH

• Staker.network - POS Smart Contract ETH Token
    • View Profile

Lately, the massive purge of users for breaking rules (enforced randomly at times) and bounty threads for various infractions to me signals major changes at Bitcointalk.org.

And now, demoting all Jr. Members with 0 merit back to newbie levels seems draconian at best.  Maybe they do have a spam problem, but their broken merit system has stranded many Jr. Members, leaving them open to demotion during this latest major change there.  I find it very difficult to believe the problem was so pervasive, they needed to demote what was probably thousands of members back to square one, with no way to post now to obtain merit.

Please chime in with your opinions.  Bitcointalk is nearly at the center of the crypto universe and it doesn't look as though newbies can even post anymore to obtain the merit they need to re-become Jr. Members.

llyfee

• llyfee has no CTRL+Z
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Bitcointalk.org heading with all these anti-user changes lately?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 03:48:00 PM »

Indeed....BCT is the de facto center of information when it comes to crypto.   I think that many agree that something needed to be done about the number of low quality comments/multi accounts/ farming etc that was happening on the forum.  Although the merit system addressed these concerns to a certain extent, it also created many problems along the line.   

The recent demotion of Jr. Members to to newbie is one that is uncalled for IMO because there are thousands of genuine accounts and high quality posters who have been caught up in this 'one size fits all' approach that they have taken.   If it is the case that newbies are unable to post, the question then is how do they get the exposure needed to have a chance of being merited.   

Personally, i feel BCT has become too big for its own good therefore emphasis on 'self importance' on the part of the mods.  What we need is a credible alternative to BCT.   
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 08:26:30 AM by llyfee »

hardinero007

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 04:42:01 PM »

i think bct should let those jr members as is and set a more strict rule for newbies to become jr members.  this would be better and fairer than eliminate those jr members without merits.  or if they should reset the jr members, reset those who have low activity, like less than 100.  there are many true jr members who have >100 activities and don't have any merits.

IWNOIJODIHOH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 07:32:03 PM »

I agree what they did was slash and burn.  We don't have the numbers but I tend to believe the majority of the Jr. Members were good contributors.  Not everyone is a genius with English, so I'm not sure of the requirements they go by.

Unless they are setting BCT up to be a paid service someday, the recent moves they made would seem to marginalize themselves and open the door for the next bit altcoin forum to replace them.

Whatever the case may be it sure does seem like the egos of the mods there have grown too damn big.

Can you imagine all the bounties that people were involved in as Jr. Members only to see the whole show stop dead?  Sad stuff.

Keeping Up

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 10:33:21 PM »

For me it seems that bitcointalk moderators and developers wants to make their authority felt by those who are engaged in cryptocurrency.
Of course they know that most of the projects nowadays requires a bitcointalk account in their members to be accepted.
We also cannot disregard the idea that this could also be a greater means for the to create revenue especialky bitcointalk ranks can now be bought through donations.

ehrz22

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 11:06:50 PM »

for me it is only a plain obvious thing that they want profit and they will continue to manipulate the forum. They are not fair and will continue to do this dirty tricks to be able to earn huge money.

AnnaMaria

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 10:10:55 AM »

The reason for the action is called the struggle with the farms. But I think that for farms to buy 1 merit is not a problem. The blow fell on ordinary users who participate in the bounty of the company. For many, this is not the main earnings. There were no warnings.
 And many lost the company's bounty. And I can not understand why they immediately suggested that newcomers buy "Copper member" ;D

maflec0713

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 05:44:20 PM »

I think bitcointalk mods have some good reasons why they do that just to eliminate those spammers. As what have said by theymos, they increase the number of people who will give merit to others and some members are helping their mods to give merits to those members who were demoted. In my opinion, maybe they disable the newbies to post so that they can easily check or determine or eliminate the post of demoted members. I hope my idea is what their thinking, if not, nothing we can do but to find another forum same with them.

uno

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 05:53:45 PM »

The main problem is because of monopoly.There is no other forum which matches the size and reputation of bitcointalk.Many forums have tried to complete with bct ,but failed to live to the expectations

RuJuliette

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 07:30:35 PM »

Indeed....BCT is the de facto center of information when it comes to crypto.   I think that many agree that something needed to be done about the number of low quality comments/multi accounts/ farming etc that was happening on the forum.  Although the merit system addressed these concerns to a certain extent, it also created many problems along the line.   

And again I absolutely agree with llyfee!
BCT is an Information resource for crypto enthusiast first! Earlier the most post there were interesting to read, was much usefull Information.
And now??  The half of the forum is the bounty reports  :o
That's why I think it's really cool that the Staker team made this forum, we can use it for Bounty reports too.

eadefemi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 09:44:06 PM »

This is exactly what happens when a few select people take decisions that would affect hundreds of thousands of other people. Irrespective of the degree of spamming or farming that was detected, there is no justification whatsoever for the step the BCT mods adopted. It's completely a "one size fits all" approach that saw the painstaking efforts of many forum users unrewarded and their legitimate rewards denied them...

I would say that I was lucky to have attained the member rank before the 'factory reset' was implemented. But to even think now that I'm probably going be stuck at that rank till whenever  is so repelling....

With so many other forums like cryptocompare coming up, I think it's just a matter of time before the 'decentralization' factor plays out on them....

And I must add that this is one of the reasons why I'd have preferred to Staker forum to be less Staker-focused so that it could be adopted more readily by other projects for their bounties...

ElvisSponge

• I'm a Sponge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 12:48:51 AM »

Well I agree, For me the solution stopping the spam and lowering the ranks of people with no merits it's not a wise decisions.

mryoso1994

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 04:00:04 AM »

Lately, the massive purge of users for breaking rules (enforced randomly at times) and bounty threads for various infractions to me signals major changes at Bitcointalk.org.

And now, demoting all Jr. Members with 0 merit back to newbie levels seems draconian at best.  Maybe they do have a spam problem, but their broken merit system has stranded many Jr. Members, leaving them open to demotion during this latest major change there.  I find it very difficult to believe the problem was so pervasive, they needed to demote what was probably thousands of members back to square one, with no way to post now to obtain merit.

Please chime in with your opinions.  Bitcointalk is nearly at the center of the crypto universe and it doesn't look as though newbies can even post anymore to obtain the merit they need to re-become Jr. Members.
Bitcointalk team did that to clean up the forum and maybe don't want to increase the population of spammer inside the forum ;D

IWNOIJODIHOH

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »

I agree with the two main points in this thread.

1.) It looks like they are moving towards some sort of paid subscription model to generate money.  What they don't realize is they got big doing things how they did.  So, for them to think they can make this big change and not lose thousands of members to another forum is clouded thinking.  It seems only a matter of time before they are knocked off the top of the hill.

2.) They definitely had a major spam problem.  How they dealt with it however was draconian at best and dictatorial at worst.  Not a good way to run a business.

ziggy

• Support Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2018, 08:56:32 AM »

Bitcointalk want to clean the forum the problem multi-accounts, spammers and not following the rules still exist.

In my own opinion it is not anti-user changes they are removing the people who are abusing the forum I am not saying Jr,member demoted to newbies are abusing it there users who just a victim because of other people's fault.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4